FREN 101: Elementary French I
This course introduces the essential elements of French structure and vocabulary and aspects of French and francophone culture. Aural comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing are stressed in that order.
A textbook and online learning center access are required:
- Manley, Smith, McMinn, and Prévost, Horizons, 6th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center.
There are two options for purchase; both will provide you access to the iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center:
- Option 1 (Hardcover textbook, all else electronic): Horizons, 6th edition Bundle: Text + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center Printed Access Card, ISBN 9781305121690.
- Option 2 (all electronic): ebook version of Horizons, 6th edition + iLrn™ Heinle Learning Center.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7 or Mac OS X
- CPU: 233MHz
- RAM: 128MB
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher
- PC: Internet Explorer 7.x or higher, or Firefox version 3.x or higher, or Google Chrome.
- Mac: Firefox version 3.x or higher, or Safari 3.x or higher, or Google Chrome.
- Network Connection: A high-speed connection with throughput of 256 Kbps or more is recommended to use audio and video components.
- Equipment: You will need speakers and microphone or a headset to listen to audio and video components and for recording activities. For best performance, we recommend you use a USB microphone for partner recording activities.
- Plug-ins: If you do not have the latest Flash Player already installed, you may download it at Flash Player.
- Students will be required to attend a virtual (online) classroom session once a week on a day and time to be determined.
View a sample course syllabus.
Contact the Friday Center at CCO@unc.edu with any questions or for more information.
< BACK: Course List