ENGL 345: American Literature, 1900-2000
This course explores critical and theoretical approaches to modern and contemporary American literary satire by authors including Joseph Heller, Flannery O’Connor, and Chuck Palahniuk.
Prerequisite: a second-semester college-level composition course or permission of instructor.
- Heller, Joseph, Catch-22. ISBN: 978-1451626650
- Parker, Dorothy, The Portable Dorothy Parker. ISBN: 978-0143039532
- Beatty, Paul, The Sellout: A Novel. ISBN: 978-1250083258
- Palahniuk, Chuck, Fight Club: A Novel. ISBN: 978-0393327342
- Blazing Saddles, directed by Mel Brooks (1974; Warner Home Video, 2004), DVD. 93 min.
- Destry Rides Again, directed by George Marshall (1939; MCA Universal Home Video, 2003), DVD. 94 min.
- These films are available at the Media Resources Center at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Undergraduate Library. You can rent or purchase the film at an additional cost (approximately $2.99) through video streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Video, iTunes, or Google Play.
Contact the Friday Center at CCO@unc.edu with any questions or for more information.
< BACK: Course List