ENGL 131: Introduction to Poetry Writing
In ENGL 131, we spend the semester reading and writing poetry in a variety of styles in order to develop our own creative, imaginative, and poetic skills. The course uses workshop-style online discussion to create a warm, welcoming space for sharing poems written for the course and receiving feedback. Each student receives consistent and detailed feedback on his or her poems from the instructor and other students. This course is accessible and useful to both first-time poets and more experienced writers.
The typical workload consists of
- a weekly reading assignment: the instructor’s lecture and approximately ten to fifteen poems from the textbook
- responses to student poems in the online Workshop
- ten original poems over the course of the semester, written in response to prompts and writing exercises
- a final portfolio of eight to ten of these poems, to be turned in at the end of the semester.
Prerequisites: a second-semester college-level composition course or permission of instructor
- The Norton Anthology of Poetry, 5th edition (2004)
View a sample course syllabus.
Contact the Friday Center at CCO@unc.edu with any questions or for more information.
< BACK: Course List